Swedish bitters - Ôhe best medicine comes from Middle Ages
From Marias Treben book: Health through God`s pharmacy
10 grams Aloe*
5 grams Myrrh
0,2 grams Saffron
10 grams Senna leaves
10 grams Camphor**
10 grams Rhubarb roots
10 grams Zedoary roots
10 grams Manna
10 grams Theriac venezian
5 grams Carline Thistle roots
10 grams Angelica roots
* Instead of Aloe, Gentian root or Wormwood powder may be used.
** Only natural Camphor should be used.
How to make it:
This mixture is put into a wide-necked 2 liter bottle and 1.5 liter of 38% to 40% rye or fruit spirit are poured over it. The bottle is left standing in the sun or near the stove for 14 days and shaken daily. The liquid is then strained and poured into small bottles, well stoppered and stored in cool place. This way it can be kept for many years. The longer it stands the more effective it becomes! Shake well before use! Alternatively some of the liquid can be strained into a small bottle and the rest left in the bottle until required.
1. If they are frequently breathed in or sniffed, the base of the skull is moistened or a moistened cloth applied to the head, they dispel pain and dizziness and strengthen the brain and memory.
2. They help dim eyes and take away redness and all pain, even if the eyes are inflamed. They rid them of spots and cataracts, if the corners are moistened in time or a moistened piece of cloth is applied to the closed lids.
3. Pustulas and eczema of all kinds, as scabs in the nose or elsewhere on the body, are healed, if they are often and well moistened.
4. For a toothache, a tablespoon of these drops is taken with a little water and kept in the mouth for a little while or until the aching tooth is moistened. The pain soon eases and the putrefaction disappears.
5. Blisters on the tongue or other infirmities of the tongue are frequently moistened with the drops and healing soon occurs.
6. If the throat is hot or inflamed, so that food is only swallowed with difficulty, strep throat these drops are swallowed slowly, morning, noon and evening and they take away the heat and heal the throat.
7. For stomach cramps 1 tablespoon is taken.
8. For colic, 3 tablespoonfuls are taken slowly, one after the other, and relief will soon be felt.
9. They rid the body of wind (gas) and cool the liver, eliminate all troubles of the intestines and stomach and help constipation.
10. An excellent remedy for stomach disorders, if the digestion is faulty or food cannot be kept down.
11. They are beneficial for pain in the gall bladder, 1 TB daily in the morning and evening and, at night, with the compresses, and soon all pain will disappear.
12. For dropsy, (miscarriages?) 1 TB in white wine is taken in the morning and evening for 6 weeks.
13. For pain and buzzing in the ear a piece of cotton wool is moistened and put into the ear. It is very beneficial and brings back lost hearing.
14. For morning sickness, 1 TB of the drops in red wine is given in the morning for 3 days, half an hour later a walk is taken, then breakfast, but no milk. These drops should not be taken after drinking milk.
15. In the last 14 days of pregnancy, if 1 TB of the drops is taken morning and evenings, it promotes the birth. For easy expelling of the afterbirth, a teaspoonful is given every 2 hours, until the afterbirth is expelled without pain.
16. If, after a birth when the milk dries up, inflammation develops, it quickly subsides if a moistened piece of cloth is applied.
17. They expel worms, even tapeworms, in children and adults, the amount taken by children being according to age. A piece of cloth is moistened with drops is applied to the navel and keep moist.
18. They rid children of pustulas. The children are given these drops according to age, diluted with water. If the pustulas start to dry up they are moistened frequently with these drops and no scars will develop.
19. For jaundice very soon all complaints disappear, if 1 TB of these drops is taken 3 X daily and compresses are applied to the swollen liver.
20. They open all hemorrhoids, heal the kidneys, rid the body of all unnecessary liquids without further treatment, taking away melancholy and depression and improve appetite and digestion.
21. Hemorrhoids are reduced, if , in the beginning, they are moistened frequently and if the drops are taken internally, especially before going to bed, they soften the hemorrhoids. Externally a cotton ball moistened with the drops is applied. It makes the remaining blood flow and relieves the burning.
22. If someone has fainted open his mouth if required, give him 1 TB of the drops and he will come to.
23. This remedy rids you of the pain of spasm(cramps) so that it will cease in time.
24.For consumption take them daily in the morning on an empty stomach and continue the treatment for 6 weeks.
25. If the menstrual flow ceases for a woman or it is too heavy, she takes these drops 3 days and repeats it 20 times. They will, what is too much, quieten and, what is too little, even out.
26. This remedy also helps to cure “whites” (white vaginal discharge)
27. IF someone is afflicted with epilepsy, he has to be given these drops on the spot and he should then take this remedy exclusively since it strengthens the affected nerves as well as the body and rids it of all sickness.
28. They heal lameness and rid you of dizziness and indisposition.
29.They heal also hot pustulas and erysipelas inflammation.
30. If someone has fever, be it hot or cold, and is very weak, he is given 1 TB and the patient, if he is not overloaded with other medications, will in a short time come to, the pulse will start to beat again, and the fever, no matter how high it was, will pass and the patient will soon be better.
31. The drops also heal cancer, old pock marks, warts, and chapped hands. If the wound is old or festering or proud flesh has developed, everything is washed well with white wine and a piece of cloth moistened with the drops is laid upon it.
32. They heal, without danger, all wounds, be they from a stab or a hit, if they are moistened frequently. A piece of cloth is taken, moistened with the drops and the wounds covered therewith. They take away the pain in a short time, permit no blemish or putrefaction and heal also old wounds which were caused by a short. If there are holes, the drops are sprinkled into the wound which need not necessarily be cleaned beforehand. Through repeated applying of the moistened cloth healing occurs in a short time.
33. They take away scars, even if very old, wounds and cuts if moistened up to 40 times with them. All the wounds heal and leave no scars.
34. They heal all fistulas, even if they seem incurable, be they as old as may be.
35. They heal all burns and scalds, be they caused by fire, hot water or fat, if the injuries are moistened frequently. No blisters form, the heat is taken out and even festering blisters are healed.
36. They serve against swellings and bruises, be they caused by a blow or fall.
37. If someone can not eat with appetite, they bring back the lost taste.
38. In anemia they bring back the lost color, if taken for a period in the morning. They cleanse the blood and form new blood and promote circulation.
39. Rheumatic pains in the limbs are eased if the drops are taken morning and evening and moistened cloth is applied to the aching parts.
40. They heal frost bitten hands and feet, even if there are open parts, if a moistened cloth is applied as often as possible, but especially at night.
41. For corns, a cotton ball, moistened with the drops, is applied and kept moist. After 3 days the corns fall out or can be removed painlessly.
42. They heal too bites of mad dogs and other animals, if taken internally, since they heal and destroy all poison. A moistened cloth is laid upon the wounds.
43. For plague and other infectious diseases it is well to take them repeatedly since they heal plague boils and swellings even if already in the throat.
44. He who cannot sleep at night takes these drops before going to bed. For nervous sleeplessness a piece of cloth moistened with diluted drops is laid upon the heart.
45. A drunk can be sober on the spot with 2 tablespoonfuls mixed in a glass of water!
46. He who takes these drops mornings and evenings daily needs no further medication, since they strengthen the body, tone up the nerves and the blood, take away the trembling of hands and feet.In short, they take away all illness. The body stays supple, the face young and beautiful.
The wonderful healing power of this herb mixture is shown in the above text of the “old manuscript”. It can be said, and rightly so, that there is hardly any illness where Swedish Bitters is not of benefit, or at least is effective as a basis for every treatment.
How to use
INTERNALLY: Prophylactics are taken according to the “old manuscript” in the morning and evening. 1 teaspoonful diluted with water. For indisposition of any kind, 3 tablespoons diluted with water can be taken. For serious diseases, 2 to 3 tablespoons are taken as follows: 1 tablespoon diluted with half a cup of herb tea, half of it is sipped half an hour before and the other half an hour after each meal.
COMPRESS: According to area, a piece of cotton wool or gauze (paper towel), is moistened with Swedish Bitters and applied to the affect area which has been well covered with lard or Calendula ointment. A slightly larger piece of plastic is put over it to prevent the clothes from getting stained. Then a cloth is wound around or a bandage is used.
The compress can be left on, depending on illness, for 2 to 4 hours. If tolerated, the compress can stay on overnight. After removal the skin is powdered. Should people with sensitive skin still develop a rash, the compresses have to be used for a shorter period only or omitted for a time People who are allergic to plastic should leave it off. Never forget to grease the skin beforehand. If an itching rash has already developed it can be treated with Calendula ointment.
Important: All stated amounts of Swedish Bitters should be taken diluted with herb tea or water.
Personal observations: It is better to make this recipe by yourself. You won`t find the original recipe at a store. There is no better medicine than this one.